Welcome to the University of Connecticut School of Engineering! ‘The First Year Experience’ course is the first ever designed to provide you with the support and opportunities needed to adjust to the academic, social, and cultural life at UConn, learn from peers, faculty to be healthy, happy, successful, and graduate in a timely manner. Our goal for the semester is to provide an open forum for discussion about graduate school transitions from college / work to being a student again, issues and concerns, and to promote all around greater self-awareness, growth, and understanding of you as a scholar, leader, individual, and global citizen. Over the course of the semester, we will review components of graduate school holistically to aid students in developing the following essential skills: self-advocacy, overall well-being, as well as information, technology, and resources available for graduate students; preparing them for success in their personal, academic, and professional lives at UConn and beyond.
By the end of the course, participants should be able to:
1. Identify academic, technical, social, and cultural resources
2. Create an individual Development Plan (IDP) to follow throughout your tenure at UConn and graduate on time.
3. Be familiar with social and cultural resources on and around campus.
4. Be familiar with support available for physical and mental health (who, what, where, when).
5. Be familiar with technical and career resources available for graduate students.
Aida Ghiaei, Director, Graduate Outreach & Diversity
Nusaybah Quasem, Program Assistant, Engineering Graduate Programs
Please click below for the syllabus
Please click below for the class schedule