- Enroll in courses and/or research (6-9 graded credits per semester plus research credits)
- Register for 1 credit Graduate Seminar
- Enroll in at least 2 ME core courses
- Discuss research interests with faculty
- Begin work in research group
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Prepare for qualifying exam
- Pass Qualifying Examination (also known as the general examination).
- Enroll in research and/or additional courses.
(mid May if starting in August)
YEAR 2 & 3
Choose 2 Associate Advisors
Note: advisory committee guidelines (https://gradcatalog.uconn.edu/grad-schoolinfo/advisory-system/)
(after 18 credits completed)
Upon Plan of Study approval by Graduate School
- (excluding requirements for dissertation, language and minor area) and 15 Graded Research Credits
Your advisor may require more than the University's minimum requirement
- (at least one year before graduation)
- Provide a copy of proposal to advisory committee 1 week in advance
- Defend proposal
- Submit Proposal Hard Copy, Dissertation
- Proposal Approval, and General Exam Forms to Graduate School (at least 6 months before final Ph.D. defense)
- For a complete checklist of required steps visit http://grad.uconn.edu/current-students/doctoral-degree-program/dissertation-information/
- Contact ME department staff for calendar scheduling and announcement.
- Submit 1 electronic copy of dissertation to Digital Commons
- Submit completed dissertation checklist, 1 approval page, final exam form, and receipt of earned doctorate survey to Graduate School
- Includes: submitting pdf of thesis, returning keys.